Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chapter 5 - I didn't sign up for Disappointment w/ God

Maybe it's because this is the longest chapter in the book OR maybe it's the subject the chapter is on.... either way, I will probably not get this one right. Seems that my mind is blocked and I really can't figure this one out, but I will try. All the more reason you should really read this book.. other than it is really good, maybe you can give me more thoughts or tell me what I missed!

There is a question in the middle of this chapter .. " Is it possible that the reason you are disappointed with God is because you rarely ask him for anything incredibly wonderful- and as a result, he rarely does anything incredibly wonderful in you life?

Hmmmmm I had to really think about that one. I mean I have always thought that's what I did.. you know ask God for all this wonderful "stuff"... but that's all it was was stuff and when I didn't get it, I got upset and wondered why because after all it DOES say, "ask and it will be given unto you". God is capable you know of that too.. I mean my dream to win the lottery, live on an island w/ no distractions.. He can get that for me. He's pretty powerful, however God chooses to act in response to our "faith-filled"prayer. E.M. Bounds said " God has chosen to limit his actions on the earth to those things done in direct response to believing prayer." Don't believe that.. try it and see.

I believe that we limit the things that God can do by not really believing like we should. When my parents died, I prayed all the time and my prayers were "God, please help me get through this, please give me peace." I prayed it every single day and you know what, He did that... he comforted me, and I am now at a point in my life when I don't have to ask why anymore. I got just what I asked for, but where do we get off thinking that God can't do anymore than comfort us in times of trials?

James 4:2-3 - " You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." WOW..... see, we are not going to get everything we ask for and the lottery and living on the island is just fun to talk about. God wants to bless us so that we may be a blessing to others. It's not about us, it's about God and loving other people...period!!



I think I will leave it at that with this chapter. Like I said, it is rather long, but I need to study it more myself before I can get into it anymore. And Bare with me on this book, there are only 10 chapters and I promise to be done next week on it cause I am going combine a few chapters. It really is worth a read by you though!! Have a blessed day and Lord willing....

Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment