Friday, June 11, 2010

Let's talk!

As much as I like my alone time on the patio with no kids, just me and my thoughts, I love to talk. And talking involves having someone to talk back to me and listen as well. When Tony and I around each other, normally there is always something to talk about, from the kids, to what we are watching on TV. But there have been a few silent times when it seems like we both might be a little tired and have nothing to say. Usually it is him who breaks that silence by MAKING me talk about something even if it's the weather.

Communication is key to any relationship we have whether it be us with our kids, our jobs, our friends or our significant others. And not just communication, good communication! I can remember right before my divorce, trying to have sit down sessions with my then husband and one of the ministers from our church. I would talk, he wouldn't listen and I got mad. Our he would talk, I would roll my eyes and not listen and he got mad. Colossians 3:8 - "But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips." Our communication was all wrong so talking never got us anywhere.

In order for communication to be the kind that is pleasing to God, we must have the right attitude, be constructive instead of destructive and honestly, be able to listen to the other person when they talk.

Proverbs 18:13 (Msg.) - "Answering before listening is both stupid and rude." Gotta love the version form the Message!

When you have been in a relationship for a long time, no matter who its with, things can become a little dry to say the least. You get caught up in doing the same old mundane things daily and it just gets boring. You have to get the communication going again. There are all kinds of things going on that are positive that can be talked about. Ask questions, be curious about what is going on in the other person's life. Don't make it all about you. And ask God. Ask Him to help you in that relationship, to find ways to turn what has been a negative into a positive situation. I guarantee that if the situation was one that involved God in the beginning, that He is not going to just let it go without a fight so why should you?!?!?!

I love you all bunches and bunches and I am very excited too. My sister and my niece and nephew are in town this weekend. I realize most of you didn't even know I had a sister, but I do. We haven't been very close in the past, but I have been praying about that and I am hoping that this is going to be a new beginning. Time to get MY communication line open and positive!! I haven't seen my niece since she was 3 yrs old and this past Tuesday, she turned 28. She called me on her birthday to let me know she was coming soooo say a prayer that I actually get to see them while they are in town!

Until next time, Lord willing, get out and be that blessing for someone God wants you to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment