Monday, May 10, 2010

Bittersweet Mom's Day

It was a wonderful weekend. I hope all you mothers had a good Mother's Day. You know, mine was good. My daughter fixed me breakfast in bed and they saved their money and bought me something from my favorite store, Bath and Body Works. Tony stopped by and it was really just a wonderful day. But it was also a little bitter sweet for me. I thought that this year I would get by and maybe think about my mom and go on. Funny how the brain works... because as good as the day was, thought of my mom popped up. And, well like I said, it was just bitter sweet.

Proverbs 31:25-31 (The Message) :

"A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve, and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places and brings back exotic surprises.
She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it, then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work, rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work, is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,diligent in homemaking.
She's quick to assist anyone in need, reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn't worry about her family when it snows; their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing, and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them, brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant, and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household, and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;her husband joins in with words of praise:
"Many women have done wonderful things, but you've outclassed them all!"
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
Festoon her life with praises! "

I cannot help but think when I read these verses about my mom. I know that we all think of our mothers in this way and I am not saying any one is better than the other, but my mom really was these things. I cannot help but think about how blessed I was to grow up with the parents God gave to me. Although not perfect, they tried to make sure that my brother and I were raised right and did what we were suppose to. They didn't give us any slack and there were times when kids use to tease us because my parents didn't always let us go and do what the other kids did. I look back on it now, and raising my own children now, I see why.

There are times when I watch other people in situations. I realize that maybe parents don't see things like you do and want to do it a different way, that's cool. Just remember, you only get one mom and dad.. cherish and love them while they are here. No one knows the time or place when we leave this earth... my mom was 51 when she passed away.

Jealousy is a sin. I know that, but I would be lying to you if I didn't say that there are times when I watch people with their parents, their moms especially and I feel that jealousy. I hate that my children don't get to do Grandparent's Day at school, hate that Grandma can't spoil them when I can't do it, or just that I can't call her when I just wanna talk and hear her voice. Love them now because I can tell you from first hand experience, I have felt no pain greater ( and I love my daddy too) than the day my mom passed away. There is honestly not a day that goes by that I don't think about her... all I have to do is look in the mirror because I am blessed also in the fact that not only do I sound alot like her, I am her twin.

So... Mother's Day only comes once a year, on the calendar anyway, but really, if your mom is still here, you are truly blessed and you should let her know it everyday, not just in May.

I love you all, be blessed and until next time... Lord Willing....

No comments:

Post a Comment