Thursday, February 3, 2011


My daughter is really big on having braids in her hair. It actually makes it alot easier for her while she is playing sports during the school year. But for as easy and convenient as it is, it can be very damaging to her hair. As a teenager though, I am clueless and she won't listen to me. So basketball will be over soon and she decided she wanted the braids out and to get her hair relaxed (that's a perm for those who don't know). So after seeing the damage, I told her, its gonna have to be cut. And I mean that means no more ponytails cut. She was fine. As a matter of fact, she said to me " cut it all off, it'll just make it easier".

Now, as a woman, a black woman, let me tell you MY feelings on hair.... I can make it long, short, curly or straight. I can grow my own, buy it or sew it in. Doesn't matter to me. BUT for me personally and alot of my friends, hair for us is like it was for Sampson... seriously... if it is not how we like it, we lose power. I know it seems silly and a bit trifling, but for me, it is what it is.

So I went to pick her up. She was fine. All smiles. The girl styled it and it is SOOOOOO cute! But then, Bri looked in the mirror and it hit her. I can't put it up anymore (well for now at least) and well, its different and she lost it right there in the chair! I knew the feeling all too well so I started trying to comfort her immediately. She did not want to hear it and as a matter of fact, decided right then (as her Facebook page says) that she is ugly. And I don't think she actually thinks she is ugly, but well, its just a big change for her.

So I left my room, and called my hair dresser. I have been growing my hair out natural for over a year now so its pretty long. Today, I have an appointment to get it cut.... just like Bri's. God could care less how we have our hair, what clothes we wear... all He cares about is what's on the inside and how we live our lives for Him.

You know, sometimes we think that we can only comfort and support people when they have big things going on in their lives. Sometimes, the simple things are the ones that matter. And no, I don't have to cut my hair to make her feel better, but sometimes people just need to feel better. I doubt there is a verse on this one in the Bible, but it's just what's going on in my life. : )

If you see my daughter, ahhhhhh please don't tell her I told you any of this, but some encouragement would be nice.

I pray you all have a blessed and wonderful day and until next time, Lord willing... love ya!

4 comments:

  1. Awww, this story almost made me cry. What a beautiful gesture to cut your hair too. Your daughter has one amazing mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine...i'm no different than any other mommy who just wants the kiddos to not have to deal with something I may be able to help with. she's my baby... I just love her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember one time my mama had a bad hair cut. She was SO mad about how short the lady cut it. I felt so badly for her that I went and got mine cut to let her know she isn't alone. ( I was growing mine out for over a year and a half as I love having a bob).
    Kind of reminds me of when a person has to go through chemo therapy and folks gather round to shave their heads in awareness and support of the person having to go through the therapy.
    You did a good thing for your daughter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened upon your blog by accident..and enjoyed reading it. You seem alot like me, finding life lessons in alot of things that are all around us. I also write a blog..mine is about cooking..and the memories and stories that surround recipes. I hope you will check it out. I am going to become a follower of yours for sure...keep up the writing! For me it is therapeutic...i only wish it paid! lol!

    ReplyDelete