Monday, February 28, 2011

I came into work this morning not expecting to hear the news I did. One of my co-worker's nephews was killed in an accident sometime this past weekend. I am not sure of the exact age, but I think he was around my boys ages. Just breaks my heart. Last week, my daughter's classmate was killed. Another friend who had friends lose an 8 or 9 year old son a few weeks ago in a sledding accident.A month ago, two babies died in Albany, from accidents.

No one really expects children to pass away so soon. I know I don't. I just always think there is time for them to grow and learn and experience life. But like I have said before and you all know, we are not promised to live until we are 75 or 80 and watch our kids have kids. If we actually make it that far, we are truly blessed. I celebrated my middle son's birthday this past weekend. He had some friends over and just had a really good time and not once did I stop to think that this may be his last birthday with me. And it's not to be morbid, but just honest.

Then I got an e-mail this morning again, reminding me to just stop TELLING people I love them and show them by my actions. (John 3:18) And then God tells us to bring up our children in the discipline and instruction of the the Lord.

And through all of this I am reminded that it is our job, MY job to teach my children what God expects of them too. From day one actually, we are to let them know that not only do we love them, but God does too. We can't hold back on teaching about Jesus to our kids because we think they may not be ready or mature enough. They may not fully understand some of the difficult concepts, but kids know truth when they hear and SEE it. And it's up to us to show them.

We spend alot of our time making sure our retirement is in order for when we get old, that our kids make straight A's so they will get into a good college and make lots of money (I am guilty of this.....), that they have the best of friends, play all the sports they can ( again, me....) and just get as much of life there is to offer. And not that any of those things are bad, because they aren't, but I wonder do we make just as big a deal about the spiritual lives.... we may not have as much time as we think...

My heart really breaks for all these families. It really does because I cannot imagine losing my kids now. BUT and I know alot of you hate to hear it, God works in everything.. good and bad and we have to just keep praying.

With so much sadness in the world, it's hard to find positive sometimes but I really do pray you can. The weather is beautiful, God is good and has given us another day to do His works... lets not waste it.... until next time , Lord willing....

1 comment:

  1. You are so right, we need to show those we love that we love them. Its nice to say the words but it needs to also be reflected in our actions. (the photos of you and your children are so lovely!)

    Well, today here where I am, it's cold, I'm complaining its cold but I praise God that I am alive and well to see the blue sky and to feel the cool breeze on my face as I look to the sky. Always find something positive.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete