Friday, April 16, 2010

How will you use your gift???

My daughter as you know loves basketball. She thinks that one day she will play in the WNBA. All I tell her is well, if that's what you want, then you need to make sure you are practicing every chance you get, make sure you listen to your coach and don't get distressed when things don't go your way on the court. I don't know if she will ever play in the WNBA, but I do know that her love for basketball can very well one day be her gift to others.

Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. - Peter 4:10-11 (NIV)

God gives each one of us gifts and no two of us are the same so the ways we use those talents or gifts can be very different but reach so many lives. I know we have talked alot at church about what our " gifts" are and I know for me, I never really have an answer. Probably because it seems a little conceited to go around telling people things you are good at and its a little embarrassing. But God's gifts are priceless and for us not to seek them and use them, well it seems like a sin. And the deal is, its not like we all have the gift to preach. Not everyone is going to be a minister, not everyone can go on mission trips, not everyone can sit in nursing homes and not everyone has tons of money. Gifts I think can be anything. AND I think you can have more than one! From listening, to talking, to driving some to a doctors appointment.. anything. And no one person's gift is better than another.. all of them, if used correctly will do the same thing.. bring and give God all the glory. We just really need to be aware of our surroundings, the people who are in need and figure out the best ways to serve them.

My daughter sometimes take her little brothers outside and shoot hoops with them. I hear her telling them " no, don't stand like this, do it this way" or " if you turn your hand like this, it will go in the basket". I don't know if basketball is her gift, but the fact that she is willing to show someone else how to better themselves, well, I just think that God is working in that somehow. Helping people if at all possible is a really big deal folks. God actually told us to do it anyway and what better way than sharing our God given gifts with others.

What a wonderful, wonderful week it has been. I hope your weekend is just as beautiful. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment