Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So I was looking on the internet and I came across this verse...

I Corinthians 7:17 (from the Message)- " And don't be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are is God's place for you. Live and obey and love and believe right there. God, not your marital status, defines your life."

Now, I realize that this verse is talking about marriage and married people. I rememebr a time that I wished my then husband was someone else. That he would change and do this and that, but it was what it was. I had to deal with what I had. I think the verse, however, also can be applied to everyday life and how we deal with certain issues.

Okay, there was a point in my life when I wished I lived n a certain place like everyone else did, I wished I made as much money as the next guy so I could buy all they stuff I saw them with. I wanted my kids to be "perfect" like I thought theirs were and I really just needed my life to be a whole lot better than it was. I mean it was so much so that it consumed me. Every conversation I had somehow always got back to that, no matter what we were talking about. It got to the point too that I actually did not like being around those people that I thought had what I wanted becasue they literally made me mad by just speaking. Sad huh? I was focused on everything but what I needed to be focused on and that was what God has already given me and what He wanted for my life.

Now, I have said this many many MANY times... I am not perfect nor do I profess to have all the answers. And you know what worked for me, will not work for everyone. I remember the day I went to sign the paperwork for my house. I was scared to death. I mean I was about to tie up the next 30 years of my life with a really big purchase. A friend of mine gave me a pen (that I have in a box at home still now) to sign my paperwork with. After I had signed on all the lines and shook hands w/ everyone in the room, I got my brand new keys and went over to the house. It was empty and everything echoed and as I walked in I got chills. What in the world had I done?? There was no way I would eve be able to do this, but I did. I walked out to the back patio and just stood there and cried. Now, I did NOT buy my house b/c everyone else had one and I wanted one too. But I honestly think for me, that was the start of me realizing that even though I had moaned and complained about not having this and that, God made a way for me to start living and doing what it was He has planned for me to do all along and the blessings had always been there, I just chose not to see them.

Our culture is so today that materials things are waht seems to matter. But you know what, people let you see what they want you to see. There is no way you can know what people have or do unless you are with them all the time and honestly, why would we want to bother anyway? God has put us all in certain places, at certain times for a reason. And guess what, it may not be meant for us to understand or know why all the time. Instead of spending out time trying to "read God's mind", we probably need to just let His blessing flow and work in our lives. I had to learn the hard way (as usual) that my job or what amout of money I make or how many friends I have or don't have does not define the person I am. I still have a moment or two that I start to "wish I coulda, woulda shoulda or wish I can do" certain things, but now i can actually stop and think and say to myslfe how lucky I am. Now of course, this may take a few DAYS but its better than the weeks and months it use to take!! I honestly don't care anymore if your house is bigger than mine (means you have to clean more, haha) , that you have a new car (mine is paid for, old but working) or that you make a zillion dollars a year (I LOVE my job)..God doesn't love me any less.

I hope you are all have a wonderful week. BTW--- Beth Moore has a new book out and I am ALMOST done.. thanks Teresa for letting me know. And of course as usual... she is ON point!!! Love it! Lord willing, we will all talk again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment