Friday, March 5, 2010

I watched the news last night as they said they found the body of Chelsea King, the 17 year old student from San Diego, CA. I watched as they flashed pictures of her on the screen and yep, I got all chocked up. I thought to myself what a beautiful girl, she was an honor student, seemed to be really well liked by her friends and peers, very active, and as her father put it.. " an angel". Then they flashed the picture of her alledged killer, John Gardner and I couldn't help but notice the smile on the mug shot of the already convicted child molester from 10 years ago. It made me sick.

I cannot even imagine nor do I ever want to imagine what her parents are going through right now. Death, for sure, is going to come to all of us, but no one wants to see anyone suffer, especially a child and even though we know we probably shouldn't, we can't help but to ask why.

And I wish I knew that answer to why Chelsea had to die, but I do know that even through this tragedy, God could make something great happen. I have seen it happen over and over. I don't know if her family knew who God really was before but maybe this will bring them to Him. Maybe it will cause others to start seeking Christ and as hard as it is to hear or even immagine, and I for one have a hard time with this, but maybe even John Gardner will one day come to know Christ.....

Another thing death makes us realize is how time is not promised to any of us. There is no scripture in the bIble that says " You will live to see you children's children children do this and that", so we have to make the most of every minute given to us. I remember a while ago we were talking about death in my life group and someone said something about how people always show up for the funeral and talk about how wonderful you were. I said it then, and I will say it now, as nice and sweet as that is, and I DO want people to show up for mine, but how about letting me know NOW. I mean seriously... if someone needs encouraging, motivation, or even praise, why not tell them now how much you appreciate them and love them.

I take comfort in knowing (and I hope the King family does too) that God said "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am" - John 14:1-3.

Make sure you say a prayer for them today and also for my friend Kim and her son Jordan, who is having some medical issues right now.

I hope you all have a really really good weekend!! It is going to be beautiful in Albany and I cannot wait to get out in it! Be blessed my friend and until next time Lord willing....

No comments:

Post a Comment