Thursday, December 3, 2009

Had a conversation yesterday (I have alot of those) and you know, it amazes me how people try to change themselves to make others happy or to fit the world around them. I can remember being in high school. I was not the popular girl, not one the guys were chasing after, I was pretty quiet, I had my few friends and that was about it. I can remember wanting so badly to be like them. Of course then, I was too afraid to even try. As I got older and a little more confident, I would see people who I thought had what I wanted and try to " do what they did" to make them like me or to fit in some group. It didn't take long to realize that going that way was not for me. It wasn't comfortable, I didn't like it and to be honest, the people were not ones that I am proud to say I was hanging around.

I think as I look at my own children, it's hard for them to actually have there own identity because so much is going on around them, especially at the high school as I am learning. That is why even now, more than ever I am trying to teach the kids that you know what? It's okay to be you. It's okay to say yo do not want to participate in things that may get you in trouble or things God would not approve of. Not that every day is great for them, but we are working on it.

As children of God, we have an identity also and it is important for us to embrace this identity and see ourselves through Jesus' eyes. We are Children of God, He's our friend, we were all chosen before the world was created, we are forgiven, we are all given the promise of the Holy Spirit, we belong to God. The list could go on and on. This list though is NOT the one of the world though. God could care less if we lose weight, if our hair is done each week, if this person or that person wants to be our friend. He just wants us to be true to ourselves and to Him. Once we give ourselves to God, the old ways are to be done and we are to have the renewed mind it speaks of in Ephesians 4:21-32.

I hope you all have had a wonderful week so far. It's been really good. I love you and Lord willing we will talk again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment