Thursday, December 17, 2009

I can remember going to the mall one day with my mom and dad. My daddy had this thing about taking us and then sitting in the middle of the mall, eating ice cream or drinking a soda and just talking to people. Didn't matter who, he just liked to talk. After an hour or so of shopping, my mom and I were going back to where my daddy was sitting and we noticed alot of kids and a large crowd around him. Seems that an elementary school from out of town had come to our mall for a field trip and they had sat down to eat lunch near my daddy. And Pink being Pink, struck up a conversation with the teachers. Anyway, long story short, he went over to the place that sold ice cream cones and bought the entire class ice cream cones. They took a picture of him (which I have in a box SOMEWHERE) and printed the article in their local paper. I was about 19 or 20 then and at the time, never really thought about what he had done or even cared for that matter.

Yesterday started out really good and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why I started to get in a mood. I was a thinking about my brother a lot yesterday and just figured I was worried about his safety. Actually when I went to bed last night, I still didn't know but figured it was the holiday blues or something. Got to work this morning and moved some stuff around on my desk and the calendar was staring at me. I don't mark it anymore like I use to, but the date just kind of stared me in the face. Yesterday had been 10 years since my dad passed away. I don't expect people to understand and I realize it's been a really long time and trust me, I am ALOT better than I use to be, but it still I guess is there in my head anyway, especially with Christmas coming up. BUT I take pride in knowing what a wonderful provider for his family, a good friend and a really God fearing, Christian man my daddy was. And I love that story about the ice cream and the kids and it makes me proud telling it. My daddy (and mom for that matter) raised my brother and I to really think of others and to do what we could for them even if it meant not getting what we wanted. And it wasn't a front they put on to impress or to get props. It was very important to them that we be doing the things God expected us to do all the time and that heaven was the goal we strived for. I am TRULY blessed to have had them as role models and parents!

I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed day... until next time, Lord willing and the creek don't rise (my daddy's FAVORITE saying!!), we will talk again!

No comments:

Post a Comment