Monday, June 27, 2011

My sons went this past week on their first tubing trip in Florida down the Ichetucknee River. I have never been there myself, but normally the church takes the kids every year so I felt pretty safe about them going even though I have this major fear of water. Khaaliq can swim a little and Chris, well he takes after me in that fear of water thing. BUT, they both wanted to go. Up until the day of the trip I got asked a million and one questions, some of which I did not know the answer to so I suggested that they both get life jackets when they got there. Once they got there, I think from what I heard, the trip started off really good and then it started to rain. Hard enough that the rain drop hurt when they touched skin and I think maybe there was a little thunder and lightening too. NOW, if you have ever heard me talk about my boys, you know they are afraid of lightening and Chris, well every time it rains, he thinks a tornado is coming. At this point, what can you do in the middle of a river in the rain? PADDLE, which is something that my boys did NOT want to do. So through the crying, tears and help from others there, they made it down the river safely and even asked me when they got home if they could go again next year.

My boys, and the some of other kids on trip were really afraid of what they thought would happen once it started raining. So much so that for a few of them, it paralyzed them to the point of not even moving in the water and someone else having to push them down the river.

Satan's mission is to steal, kill and destroy us. And that is what fear does to us. Fear makes us doubt our decisions and makes us uncertain about everything we do. And when we allow fear to creep into our thoughts and lives, we will miss out on what God really wants for us and wants us to do. 2 Timothy 1:7 says "For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline."

God is not a God of fear, but a God of love, self control and peace. When we ask Him to help us, we can't do it with doubt in our hearts and be double minded, that's what Satan wants. And like my sons, I have also been in a state of fear. I think that sometimes when God shows us what it is He really wants us to do, we come up with all kinds of excuses as to why we really can't do it. Even to the point of telling ourselves that God must have that one wrong because I know that can't be done. When do we wake up and actually start believing what we are telling everyone else. That God really IS in control and no matter where He leads me, I am going to follow because we know He is with us.

I pray that you all have been well and that you are enjoying your summer vacations. Until next time, Lord willing, love you and be a blessing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment